Patwon-Ki-Haveli - Jaisalmer
The Patwon Ji ki Haveli was constructed in the year 1805 by Guman Chand Patwa who was an affluent trader . It was first of a kind haveli in whole Jaisalmer. It's architecture is prominent in entire Jaisalmer.
Uniqueness of the Patwon Ji ki Haveli is in the fact that it is not a single haveli but a cluster of 5 small havelis. The first haveli is the biggest. The five havelis were constructed for Patwaji's 5 sons and the construction of the entire complex took around 50 years. All five havelis were constructed in the first 60 years of the 19th century.
The havelis are also known as the 'mansion of brocade merchants'. This name has been given probably because the family dealt in threads of gold and silver used in embroidering dresses.
Patwon Ji ki Haveli is the largest Haveli in Jaisalmer and stands in a narrow lane. This haveli is presently occupied by the government, which uses it for various purposes. The office of the Archeological Survey of India and State art and craft department is situated in the haveli itself.
Nevertheless, even after these encroachments and abuse you can find a good amount of paintings and mirror-works on the wall. The other important aspects are its gateways and arches. There are individual depictions and theme on each and every arch of the Patwon Ji ki Haveli. One interesting fact about Patwon Ji ki Haveli is that though the whole building is constructed using yellow sandstone ( which is found in abundance in the Jaisalmer ), the main gateway is in brown color.